About Me

My photo
On my fourth day of maternity leave, I got bored. So I created this blog to reflect on the changes in my self and my life that my pregnancy has brought so far, as well as hopefully fill some days.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Holy Summer, Batman!

Whoa. I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted anything until I read my last post about Ezri getting her four month shots. It's almost coming time for her 6 month shots!!

Time really has gotten away with me. Ezri's more active, we're getting out more, the weather is improving (somewhat) and we just generally try to keep busy. I still want to write a post about all the sleep crap I've been reading, but after a day in the sun, I'm sleepy and lazy.

Doing some lighter reading at the moment, reading a book called Free Range Kids (link to her blog). It's a fun book, giving me lots to think about in regards to the years to come and at what age I'll let Ezri do what. The book is making the argument that despite the statistical unlikelihood of terrible things happening (crime of all kinds are at the lowest since the 50s), we allow ourselves to run our lives and parent our children based on "What If"s. Children play less outside, they are constantly supervised, and we distrust everyone around us.

If you've heard of this woman, it's through being known as "America's Worst Mom." She made headlines when she wrote (she's a journalist) about sending her son on the subway in NYC by himself. I believe he was 9 at the time, he felt he was ready, he had done it a million times before, had money, a cell phone, a transit pass, and a map. She left him in Bloomingdale's and he found his way home. People threw a shit fit!!

There's so much concern about child abduction, but statistically, it's incredibly rare. You're more likely to get struck by lightening than have your child taken away (and even then, it's more likely to be the other parent, while in a custody battle, than some random stranger on the street). Fear is justified by saying "But what if" and "Just in case." Parents are damned and looked down upon for "taking risks" (as though leaving a 10 year old home alone for two hours is the same as leaving your 2 year old in the middle of the street).

It's funny and lighthearted, but a good read. There are a few issues that we don't have so much in Canada (or not nearly as intensely), such as caution for fear of litigation and fear-mongering "the world is going to kill your baby" media sensationalism.

Ezri's in her crib sleeping at the moment. I wonder if I should watch her, lest a home invader climb 4 stories and steal her. What if, man. What. If.

No comments:

Post a Comment