About Me

My photo
On my fourth day of maternity leave, I got bored. So I created this blog to reflect on the changes in my self and my life that my pregnancy has brought so far, as well as hopefully fill some days.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Adventures in Sleep Continue

It's official. My child is incredible.

Well, not like I didn't know that already. But now it's just offical.

The rest of the day yesterday was pretty harsh. She slept for about an hour in the morning, which was good, but then had a 20 minute doze in the stroller in the early afternoon, resisted her proper afternoon nap with a bunch of crying (eventually fell asleep, but didn't stay down long), and then even had a short fourth nap around 6pm (we just couldn't keep her awake). She was cranky and overtired from short naps (an infant's sleep cycle is 50 minutes, any less than that in a single stretch and they aren't properly rested).

She was in a pretty good mood after her early evening nap, so I kept her up for a while. Daddy did bath, I nursed her, we sang some songs and read some books as a family on the floor, then dad put her down (it was his turn to put her down and do night wakings). Not a single peep from this child. Not a one. Asleep in the corner of her crib.

I'd say dad got off easy!

She woke up around 1:20am and I figured I'd leave her for a few, and if she was still awake, I'd feed her. Well, she went right back to sleep! Only a minute of crying, then we didn't hear from her again until 6am. She fussed a bit, but I didn't go to her right away, and managed to get another 45 minutes from her.

Up a little early, but I'd say night #2 was a huge success! Woohoo!! My breasts, however, were not as pleased as I was. They were rock hard, definitely not used to not feeding at night.

She was cranky at first waking, but overall in a good mood this morning, much better than yesterday. She's asleep napping now, went down with maybe 30 seconds of fussing (mostly because I had to take her off the breast, as she was falling asleep while nursing).

So ya, my baby's awesome. I'm so glad I waited to do this, though. I feel like a month ago it would have been another story entirely. She was definitely ready and I am tres happy.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet. Yesterday's first nap was easy too, so we'll see how the rest of the day goes (hopefully not doing a short stroller nap will help her sleep longer at her afternoon nap).

Big 'ole w00t w00t!!

No comments:

Post a Comment