About Me

My photo
On my fourth day of maternity leave, I got bored. So I created this blog to reflect on the changes in my self and my life that my pregnancy has brought so far, as well as hopefully fill some days.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Three Little Shots

Ezri got her first round of vaccinations today. Poor girl was not impressed. I had read that nursing while they're giving the shots helps, and the doctor agreed. I can't say it made any difference, since I have nothing to compare it to, but she seemed to calm down relatively quickly. It's been about 6 hours, and no excess fussiness, no fever, she seems to have taken them well.

Recently on Facebook a conversation was started about whether or not to vaccinate children. I'm still surprised at how many people are against vaccinations. I'm not a "drink the koolaid" kind of person, I've done my research. I know that they study that claimed a link between vaccinations and autism, after extensive peer-review, wasn't only found to be questionable, but elements were flat out made up. Yet, somehow, since this debate has been opened, people can't seem to reevaluate this new evidence. Thank-you, Jenny McCarthy.

Ezri's paediatrician commented with sincerity that vaccinations have changed his job, for the better. He reveled at not having to treat meningitis anymore, and noted that the only children to contract it in BC are unimmunized. Why don't we see polio anymore? Because of vaccinations.

There's more evidence coming out about the benefits of spacing immunizations out differently, which I admit I'm not entirely read up on. But that's the neat thing about science: constant reevaluation, revision, improvements, and research.

I know everyone has an opinion on this, but at the end of the day, not all opinions are created equal. Some are based on a rational understanding of scientific evidence with a healthy dose of perspective and question-asking, and some are based on fear of modern medicine and a misunderstanding of biological processes. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's just the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment